Listed below are the 8 reasons I bought an iPad instead of iPad 2.
1. Same resolution and size of LCD screen.
2. Same memory and connectivity options except for new CDMA model.
3. 730g for iPad 3G vs 613g for iPad 2 with 3G. Difference of only 117g or 16% less.
4. iPad is 13.4mm thick vs iPad 2 at 8.8mm but still thinner than MacBook Air’s 17mm or difference of 1.42mm of the Samsung Galaxy Tab at 11.98mm.
5. iPad 2 may be thinner and lighter than the iPad but if you are getting your first tablet, the iPad 2 will also have a slimming effect on your wallet.
6. Sure it’s fun having the latest gadget but it’s a 2 week waiting time for online orders of ipad 2 while I can waltz into a shop to get the iPad immediately.
7. Apple has announced at WWDC 2011 that iOS 5 is supported by the iPad so there’s still support and updates for more features.
8. And the last reason that is more a post justification when a friend commented on my facebook page on my new iPad ‘that’s so 2010, iPad 3 is coming out soon’. The iPad is still great for reading, email, web surfing and more. Technology keeps improving so there’s no point holding out for the next model if the older model serves your needs. More cash in the pocket means I can upgrade to the iPad 3 next year if it’s really compelling.
That’s enough typing for now, back to browsing through the Flipboard app on the iPad.